Thread: opening a knife
View Single Post

Old 07-09-2018, 08:05 AM

Liked 4,318 Times in 1,420 Posts
Default opening a knife

as I have said in another thread I have a Spyderco sst police model and it is a well made knife. however do to blade length of 4 inches it could be a problem of carrying as the magic number in Nebraska is a 3.500 inch blade length. the main problem I have with it is I don’t seem to get enough thumb purchase in the hole to open it so I end up opening it just like a regular pocket knife. the other problem is that it doesn’t allow for a “tip up” carry. I keep it in my range bag.

the knife I do carry is an Emerson CQC-7A with a spear point. this knife does allow for “tip up’ carry. it seems that when I pull it out of my pocket the thumb hits the disc on the blade and just opens perfectly. I have had this knife for a long time and I think it was about $120 from Emerson and is my favorite knife.

I have a Benchmade/Emerson CQC-7 with a tanto point and while it is very good knife it doesn’t allow for “tip up” carry. it does open easy when my thumb hits the disc on the blade. I keep it in the console of my truck.

I have a CRKT small Crawford Kaspar and it is a very stout little knife. it has a stud for opening the blade but for some reason my thumb just doesn’t seem to hit in the right place. it also doesn’t allow for “tip up” carry.

I have a Kershaw Whirlwind assisted opening knife it opens easily. it just doesn’t allow for “tip up” carry either so that sits next to my laptop while I’m typing this.

all this says is that I can’t seem to make a “tip down” knife work for me.

Last edited by steveno; 07-09-2018 at 08:19 AM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: