View Single Post

Old 07-09-2018, 09:28 AM
US Veteran

Liked 14,349 Times in 5,471 Posts

If the stocks are original to the gun it helps narrow down the age even without the databases available. The gold medallion stocks were used from 1910 to 1920. As for serial number ranges, most of the range from 148XXX to 153XXX were shipped in 1910. Only drawback is the name inscribed on the sideplate. Value is negatively affected unless the name can be associated with a well known shooter. I think I can read Lieut. W. H. Reed Police, but cannot make out what is inscribed over the logo?

There are indications of what was done by the type of stamps the factory used. When you get the gun take special care to look for letter and number stamps on the butt-frame behind the stocks and under the barrel on the flat and on the rear of the cylinder. I have not been keeping track of several member's comments on what diamonds, RB, etc. can tell a person about the repair?? Also, The Smith & Wesson Historical Foundation offers a service to look up records on revolvers and may have a repair invoice or documents relating to your new acquisition.