View Single Post

Old 07-10-2018, 11:22 AM

Liked 1,795 Times in 625 Posts

If the world was to have only one 44 AMMO, please make it a 44 Special.
Having written that, I have only 44 Magnum handguns.
There are two topics here you shouldn't confuse: the ammo and the handgun that shoots it.

I'm always on the lookout for a early SAA in 44 special. They are lighter and handier than a corresponding 44 Mag of today.

I've been looking for 10 years without finding one that was nice and affordable. I think when you get to why on the 44 special, it is about weight. If you're not concerned about weight, the 44 special handgun offers nothing over the 44 mag handgun (opinion). The 44 special guns of today seem to be as heavy as the 44 mag guns.

44 Specials command a premium in both weapons and ammo. The Special ammo is more expensive and much harder to find than magnums.

I must add that I am a handloader. That changes everything.
I make my 44 mags do exactly what I want. I make mine just above a hot 44 special. I define that as 1050fps and up. I find 1200fps delightful.

Yes, I do try to turn my 44 mags into 44 specials. Real Magnums at 1400fps are too much for me.

The 44 mag handguns are much less expensive than the 44 Specials. Most folks who buy the 44 mag handgun shoot a cylinder and put it away. Without experience shooting big bore, the recoil is punishing and the sound is intense. Conversely, the 44 Special handguns get shot continually for enjoyment.
I think the 44 mag is the Best Buy of revolvers today. Like I said, most have had one cylinder fired and then put up for sale. I prefer buying the beautiful, strong 44 mag handgun cheap and then shooting soft 44 mag ammo that is real close to a 44 special.
I use 44 mag brass and so there is no cleaning the cylinder ring involved.

Of course, if a Colt New Frontier in 44 special came along, I'd jump in a flash. That and the triple lock are the real 44 special handguns to me.

Prescut

Last edited by oddshooter; 07-10-2018 at 11:27 AM.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: