View Single Post

Old 07-10-2018, 12:50 PM

Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts

Thanks armorer951 ,

I realize it is a very precise situation. I would only need to knock off a couple of thousandths - just sort of round of the sharp edge. Perhaps a rubber polishing point and some 600 grit lapping compound?

Thanks RGVshooter,

As far as custom selecting ammo... this revolver (6") barrel has proved very accurate with whatever I have fed it. If I am going to shoot beyond 50 yards it might be worth while. I have better than 28k of ammo "in stock" from Federal bulk pack from Wally World to CCI, Federal, Remington and Ely match. Actually the Federal bulk does quite well. Federal 510 (Lightning or Champion) will do sub 1" groups at 100 yds from my old Mossberg target rifle (quit using it for plinking when I found that). Automatch is also quite good.

My most ammo sensitive pieces are a couple of dedicated .22 LR MSRs from Compass Lake Engineering. The only REAL problem ammo is some Winchester 40 gr hollow point bulk stuff. Some rounds must be out of spec or out of round (or bent) as they will not chamber completely in the CLE rifles (match chambers). Those are the ones which were giving me issues in the 617 as the have a LARGE hollow point.

And as far as cleaning... when I shot intercollegiate pistol we only cleaned our .22 pistols when they really needed it. The idea was I guess that cleaning would do more damage to the bore than standard velocity match ammo. I clean the 617 when it gets dirty and I am ready to put it back in the safe and shoot something else

Yes, I use only a bronze brush. I had purchased the Dewy rod for this revolver as it has to be cleaned from the muzzle. I now use an old style brass rod to clean the cylinder. It is shorter and easier to align.

Thanks again,

Ken