View Single Post

Old 07-10-2018, 06:16 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 20,598 Times in 8,583 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowe View Post
The silver medallion on the stocks indicates the 1930s decade, BUT those are early style target stocks and may not number to the gun.
The stocks in that configuration were made in the 1910s and had gold washed medallions. Perhaps someone touched those up with aluminum paint?? In either case, not sure if they are correct?? Can you check to see if the stocks have a step in the back or do they cover the entire back-strap? If you can remove them, check for serial numbers on the right stock. Lastly, are the chambers recessed?

EDIT: I just posted and see a few other posts got in before I got mine completed. I do still question the authenticity of those stocks?? I thought that by the 1930s all butt-frames were standard I frame, without the stepped frame that stocks of that early style were used?
Gary,

Target Stocks:

The stocks are the later version and proper vintage for the gun because the early version had dished tops for the medallion. The convex tops with flat chromed non-recessed medallions are correct for those after 1930.

• Gold plate over brass medallions ordered reinstated in wood stocks but with ‘convex’ stock circles on 2/11/1929; 3/18/29 changed to flush mounted, flat gold plated, and then finally changed April 1929 to flush mounted, flat chrome plated over brass.

The rebated grip frame was only used with reproduction of the HFT following WW I when Reg Police stocks became standard at ~ #258000 until 1923.

Rebated Grip Frame:

This gun will have the standard rd butt non-rebated grip frame since target stocks did not require the rebate which was eliminated by the Aug. 29, 1923 change order when the Regulation Police grips were dropped and target grips again became standard but with convex tops and w/o medallions until 1929.

Recessded Chambers:

This gun is right on the cusp of having recessed cyl chambers reportedly introduced at ~ # 525600, by change order dated Jan 7, 1935.
S&WCA #819

Last edited by Hondo44; 07-10-2018 at 06:20 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: