View Single Post

Old 07-10-2018, 07:35 PM

Liked 3,247 Times in 1,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisgah View Post
Point #1 -- Not to question the original poster's account, but let's face it -- we have only his account, and nothing of S&W's side. Can a hammer pin break and a "yoke bolt" wear out in just 2000 rounds? I don't know. I don't recall ever seeing a service life stated for a 642. I do recall that when S&W's first unsuccessful, utterly pathetic .380 came out they made it clear that 2000 rounds was about as far as it would go.

Point #2 -- To the original poster, assuming you are giving us a complete and honest report, I feel your pain. You may well have a legitimate gripe that S&W should address. Assuming that you do -- what can we do about it? My suggestion would be to make further enquiries at S&W by phone or, preferably, letter and find someone who will listen to your plight. Nobody there is out to screw you, or themselves, by ignoring a real problem -- but being human beings, I am sure there is an employee or two there who may not be completely on the ball when it comes to customer service.
It's an honest presentation of the facts. You can choose to believe them, be skeptical, or completely discount them.

A couple points in response to yours...

#1 When I sent the pistol in, I told them the 642 had a couple thousands rounds through it and specifically asked if that was close to the service life. I was told "no way, not even close."

#2 Like I mentioned in the original post...
Quote:
I wanted to post because I see others posting about how great the S&W Service Repair Policy is. I'm wondering if S&W is changing how they administer that policy.
Others that are considering purchasing an S&W firearm based on perceptions about S&W's Lifetime Service Repair Policy (which is different than the actual 1 year warranty), may be able to use my information as a data point in making their decision.

My experience probably won't stop me from purchasing another S&W, but I'll definitely have a different view of the value I'm getting for the $$.