View Single Post

Old 07-11-2018, 09:43 AM

Liked 481 Times in 142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter123 View Post
As a working Engineer I have to disagree with your statement, something rather typical between Toolmakers and Engineers. This is an application where the ball should NOT be centered in the notch, it should be providing a Pre-Load Force acting to keep the cylinder firmly pressed into the engagement.

Note, as has always been true the Engineer always gets what he desires and the Toolmaker reserves the right to say I Told You So for a year or two after that Engineer falls flat on his face. I will also note that I've learned a great deal from Toolmakers over the years and make it a habit to listen to their suggestions but this is a case where a Pre-Load design is superior.
Well I don't know if you own a Model 69 but the light pressure under that ball isn't going to provide much locking assistance given that it's only contact point is on the ramp leading out like a roller lifter with light spring pressure.
Why would you have a notch cut in there if it wasn't for a locking purpose?
If I were to disable the rear cylinder locking pin, that cylinder would fly right open with a good shake.
Maybe they should call it a light friction lock.

Anyway appreciate your Engineering comments and thanks for the links on the ball lock issue.

BTW...during my working days in the Tooling Dept. of a large office furniture corporation we would get stamping/forming multi station dies shipped in from a contract builder.
My job was to make them FUNCTION correctly to produce the intended part.
The Following User Likes This Post: