View Single Post

Old 07-11-2018, 01:23 PM
US Veteran

Liked 19,055 Times in 6,881 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Star View Post
After April, 1942, barrel lengths were standardized at five inches (for UK orders) and smooth stocks with dull gray finishes appeared.
A few thoughts:

1. The last part of the sentence seems odd. I don't think you mean that the stocks had a "dull gray finish." Right? I assume that part of the sentence refers to the metal finish.

2. According to McHenry & Roper, the stocks went from checked to smooth on January 1, 1942 (page 225). Of course, M&R's book does have some mistakes in it, but I don't know that this is one of them.

3. M&R also give April 10, 1942, for the date that the finish change was made.

4. Pate gives October, 1940, for the time that the UK specified that future BSRs would be produced with 5" barrels. Some may have shipped after that with 4" or 6", but if Pate is correct, the change order dated from that month.

Regarding the U.S. Navy stamp on Victory Model revolvers, those stopped around V267000, which was the end of the Navy contract revolvers. The last 9500 Navy contract guns were delivered in January, 1943. Thereafter, Navy guns were procured through the Army system and were not stamped with the Navy identification. If they were not DSC guns, they got the standard property stamp.

This is the best information I have available to me. If any of it is incorrect, I'd be happy to hear about it.
SWCA #2475, SWHF #318

Last edited by JP@AK; 07-11-2018 at 01:25 PM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: