View Single Post

Old 07-11-2018, 05:28 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 22,564 Times in 5,845 Posts

I too am a fan of the SIG P22x family of firearms.

It all started back in 1977 when we were opening a new muffler shop in South Florida. My Father wanted something lighter weight than the Government models we were currently carrying. He also wanted that new fangled DA/SA action.

I bought the first gun (pictured in the lower right) and proceeded to put 500 rounds through it. That was all it took, I was sold. We bought two more and began carrying them. I added the Goncalvo Alves grips to mine shortly after acquiring it.

Over the years I have added other P220s including one in 9MM and another in 38 Super. I love the way 38 Super sound when shooting it

Then the MasterShop in Germany came out with the P220 Sport

What a magnificent shooter. It was like I could not miss that center ring. Then the P220 Sport Stock hit the market. A standard sized P220 with MasterShop hand fitting and adjustable sights. The Nills wood grips were a factory offered option

I like the look of the two tone pistols, so when the Ernst Langdon Specials came out, I added one of those.

Then we began dreaming about a 10MM Auto P220. WOW how great would that be to have a 10MM Auto P220 to carry when I had the MP5/10 with me.

The artisans at Gray's Guns made the 10MM P220 happen (many years before SIG added it). A 5" P220 with a rounded trigger guard chambered in 10MM Auto

Then the SIG MasterShop did it again. A P220 X6 (top)

A 6" Longslide P220 hand fitted by the Germans. Hard to beat.

Today I still carry the P220 that I acquired in the 1980s when I wanted night sights and chose not want to mill my original P220 from the 70s. It has gained new TFO night sights and the slide has been plated in CCRs CP-II. It still has the same Brazillion Rosewood grips that it is wearing in the upper left of the first image, age and sweat have darkened them a bit, but I can live with that

Now after decades of asking for it, SIG fianlly came out with the P227. They just came out with it two decades too late, Much of the 45ACP crowd has moved on.

The P227 is a great platform, especially for a P226 shooter that wants to get into 45ACP, the feeling is very similar. 11+1 rounds with the flush fit magazines and 15+1 with the extended magazines is not too bad. Now if they would just come out with a P227 chambered for 10MM Auto

Last edited by colt_saa; 07-11-2018 at 05:33 PM.
The Following 7 Users Like Post: