Thread: opening a knife
View Single Post

Old 07-11-2018, 06:54 PM

Liked 16,951 Times in 3,692 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshwheeling View Post
When I first read about it, I thought the Wave was a pretty cool idea. When I showed it to my boy, he promptly ordered a pair of the Kershaw Emerson knives, and gave one to me. After a few weeks, the novelty wore off, and it pretty much sits. As you say, I am no knife fighter, and don’t think of them as useful for self-defense.

As a bartender, my boy has more use for a one-handed opener. He found a smaller Kershaw version which gets more carry time.

Sometimes you will see a zip tie looped through the thumb hole on a Spyderco. That is the poor man’s wave. The zip tie is cut off to just the right length to catch on the seam of the pocket, just like the Wave. If I had a Spyderco, I would probably try it out of curiosity before putting it aside.
I've found the Wave on my Spyderco Endura makes it difficult to get the knife out of my pocket without deploying the blade. With practice I can pull the knife from my pocket with blade deployed amazingly fast. After more than a decade of carrying a Delica on a daily basis I'm only slightly slower using the standard Spydiehole and my thumb. With the Wave I'm faster but only 95% sure the blade will deploy properly. Using standard Spyderco thumb opener techniques I'm 99.9% sure to deploy the blade properly one-handed and will only be a fraction of a second slower. I would not waste a tie wrap on the poorman's version of the Wave.