View Single Post

Old 07-11-2018, 07:40 PM

Liked 1,503 Times in 403 Posts

A long, long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I carried a full-size, all steel, .45ACP Colt Government Model IWB in a Bruce Nelson or Milt Sparks Summer Special Holster, riding on a Bruce Nelson or Milt Sparks belt. Bruce wore a 1911 IWB regularly. Bruce and Milt were one man shops back then. They both personally made my gear.

I also carried two J-Frame backups. Three pistols on me routinely in 100 degree+ weather.

The out-of-the-box Colt was my primary "duty' pistol. I carried it because I had to. I also carried it because 'at that time' there wasn't any better full-size pistol I was going to bet my life on. With the correct, professional gear it carried easy. When I thought about why I carried it, it was a downright feather.

There was an old saying back then: "If you ever, truly need a 'handgun' to save your life, you'll wish it was a big one."

These days I'm a mind-my-own-business civilian, so I carry "lighter", but not "too light".

Would I choose a Government Model as my duty pistol in 2018? No, I wouldn't. There are too many better choices for "field duty" today, IMO.

Is the 1911 still suitable for civilian self-defense? IMO, in the right hands, properly applied, Good Grief, YES.

So, carrying a Government Model IWB is not a fantasy. A lot of professional men did it. It's quite the reality, but only for those seriously dedicated to make it work.