View Single Post

Old 07-11-2018, 09:39 PM

Liked 1,272 Times in 370 Posts

Last month I took my renewal class, and the instructors did some time on this topic. They are the same instructors I’ve had for the last 10 years so I do trust them. There is a difference between “Insurance” and the ‘Membership’ types of Legal Protection. A lot has to do with whether they cover costs up front for you or reimburse you. You definitely need to research.

I signed up with Firearms Legal Protection (FLP) during that class and it was sold by the Instructors I mentioned. It is a Membership type...sort of like a Co-Op structure. A lot of people, probably most, don’t have any legal coverage outside of their Homeowners policy or their Umbrella policy. I pay $20 a month and I have Legal coverage in any State where my Permit is valid...which is some comfort to us.

Tomorrow night I’m going to a Seminar at my Range put on by one of the guys running FLP...They are covering legal rights, what to expect after a shooting, etc.

Quote:
What is the difference between prepaid legal services like Firearms Legal Protection and insurance?

Pre-Paid Legal Services - A pre-paid legal services membership covers attorney fees incurred by a member who lawfully uses a firearm in self-defense. Most of these plans only cover attorney fees, not expert witness or investigator fees or charge extra for this protection. These fees and many others are included in Firearms Legal Protection premium plans.

Under a pre-paid legal services plan, normally your attorney is located and provided for you. Some insurance plans make a big deal about this, but it is done for many reasons, one is the plan providers have researched and should have contracted with attorneys who are experienced in Criminal Law and/or have notable experience handling firearm self-defense cases. This is the case with Firearms Legal Protection. We are proud to offer local, experienced Criminal Law attorneys and/or attorneys who specialize in firearm self-defense cases. With Firearms Legal Protection you always retain your right to reject your attorney and ask for another one.

Insurance Plans

In short, if you purchase a self-defense insurance plan and subsequently use your firearm in self-defense, you personally will pay attorney fees and expect to be reimbursed up to the limits of the policy. Your reimbursement is contingent on being fully acquitted or if the charges are dropped before trial. If you are not acquitted or the charges against you are not dismissed but instead you enter into a plea bargain with the State or go to trial which ends in a hung jury or a conviction, the legal fees you have already paid for your criminal defense will not be reimbursed.

Your criminal trial also affects insurance coverage for any civil case brought against you. If you are found guilty at trial or accept a plea bargain, your civil insurance coverage ends. And, the normal course is for the insurance carrier to choose and hire the attorney handling your civil trial. Further, under most insurance policies the insurance carrier has the right to settle any civil matter or case without your permission.

Is Firearms Legal Protection considered insurance?
Absolutely not. Obtaining legal services through Firearms Legal Protection membership is not considered insurance but rather a legal protection service plan providing uncapped payment for attorney fees. You never pay a deductible or co-pay as you are required to do with most insurance plans.

How is your program different from other legal services programs?
Firearms Legal Protection differs in three ways:

1) We pay your attorney fees directly for both criminal and civil actions. Unlike most legal protection plans, we are not an attorney reimbursement system.

2) We take the time to research and provide you with a local attorney who is experienced in Criminal Law, and/or has experience handling firearms related incidences where self-defense occurs.

3) We provide the most comprehensive protection at the lowest price while never sacrificing member service.

Last edited by Czechvar; 07-11-2018 at 09:48 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: