View Single Post

Old 07-11-2018, 10:32 PM

Liked 28,122 Times in 8,914 Posts

Every state, and really every agency, varies with regard to LEOSA qualifications . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuzzFuzz View Post
Quote from the staff.

To ensure adequate staffing, we must have an accurate participation count. Unregistered walk-Ins will not be permitted.
]
• Retired Officers are allowed to qualify on one concealable firearm.
•["] ALL weapons must be brought in a case and unloaded, or in an approved holster.
• *** does not supply any ammunition for this Shoot. Retired Officers need to bring 50 rounds of practice ammunition per qualification attempt.
• Qualified Retired Officers will be required to sign an Injury or Accident Disclaimer.
• Retired Officers who have not had a background check within the past 5 years are required to complete a background check PRIOR to the Shoot.

Note, the last item....Yes we would be required to have a background check if not done in the last five years.....

HOWEVER, if one has a state issued permit to purchase a handgun, which must be conducted by a local law enforcement agency, (which are good for 3 years, cost $5.00) this will meet the requirement for a background check. This document must be provided at the time of qualification shoot.

As far as my LEO card for being issued to a "retired" officer, it is non expiring...It has our photo on it.( smiled, didn't have to be my grumpy old, grouchy look)

We are issued a second LEOSA card with our photo on it, with a expiration date 12 months from the date of our qualification.

There is no mention of whether we qualified with a semi-auto or revolver type of weapon...Only that we are allowed to conceal carry.

OH too...it's a freebe to us old codgers.... We only have to provide our own practice ammo.

WuzzFuzz

Sorry about the color change. I tried to correct that, but...well...you get the picture...Us old codgers are not the most computer savy.