View Single Post

Old 07-11-2018, 11:09 PM
US Veteran

Liked 32,340 Times in 5,474 Posts

I have been using the 1911-style pistols since 1969 in military service, law enforcement, and now in retirement for personal defense. I consider the full-size 1911 in .45ACP to be the ideal defensive sidearm.

Not terribly difficult to carry comfortably and well concealed. All that is required is a good solid belt to support the weight and keep it distributed on the hips, and a good pancake-style holster that rides moderately high just behind the strong-side hip (about 3:30 position for a right-hand shooter). Beyond that all that is needed is a cover garment that is long enough to keep the holstered pistol covered during all normal activities. I get by daily with nothing more than a loose-fitting shirt, either cotton canvas or broadcloth. Of course, that is not appropriate for business attire, but I am retired and have a lot of latitude in how I dress. For business dress it gets even easier, with a suit coat or sport jacket of full cut (not closely tailored to the body), which I intentionally purchase in one size larger than I might otherwise wear. A panel of light canvas material sewn into the jacket lining aids in disguising the underlying holstered handgun as well as preventing snagging and tearing on exposed portions of the pistol.

The compact or subcompact pistols offer some advantages in concealment and comfort, but that comes with the usual trade-offs in reliable functioning and shorter sight radius. I trained on the full-size pistols and used one in combat more than once, so I rely on what I know.
The Following 20 Users Like Post: