View Single Post

Old 07-11-2018, 11:44 PM

Liked 23 Times in 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by josywales View Post
A lot depends on the District Attorney, but here's my take.
Insurance, nice to have, but you never want to use it.

If you kill someone in your home and the cops arrive, they have a murder to solve. You did it, so that's an issue for you. You are guilty at that point, now you have to justify it. Sometimes that's easy, sometimes not so easy, especially if the intruder isn't dead.

I took my defense and other courses years ago. The LT of a local police department was giving his spin on concealed carry, home defense, etc. He is all in favor of you protecting yourself, but you'd better be prepared to defend yourself after the fact. If you are innocent, depending on the DA and circumstances, you could spend $75,000 clearing up that legal mess Then there's the civil matter.

You just killed an armed intruder, who was threatening your family's safety. Unfortunately for you, he was also the sole provider for a family of his own and they are seeking recourse. So, they take you to court for killing the only source of income they had.

So, yeah, the costs can add up. Walk away and when possible, run. If an intruder comes into your home, you don't have much choice. Stand your ground, protect your family, but don't "hope" the rest will work itself out. Hope isn't a strategy. Chance favors the prepared mind. For instance:

You just shot someone in your house. Once your family is secured, you must immediately call for medical assistance for the intruder, or you're I trouble. But keep your mouth shut!

You call 911 and say,"A man has been shot and needs medical assistance. My address is XXXXX." Then hang up. You've done everything you're require to do. Then dial your attorney, who you already know has self defense experience. Don't say, "I just killed a guy who was threatening my family!" When the police arrive, the only facts they'll be able to confirm is that a man is dead and you've already confessed to his murder. That's a problem for you. The Supreme Court has ruled: A police officer's duty is not to protect and serve. It is to enforce the law and that's what they'll do when they arrive.

Stay safe.
Thanks for the explanation.

Sounds like alot of work if someone breaks in your house. Perhaps its better to raise the window up and just run out the back yard through the fence and let the intruders do what they need to do.
The Following User Likes This Post: