View Single Post

Old 07-12-2018, 02:25 AM
Banned

Liked 4,324 Times in 1,793 Posts

This thread is a dumpster fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodoboy View Post
Thank you, I live in a Stand Your Ground state, so that means I do not have to retreat and hide right?
Read a Mas Ayoob book. As in, pop on Amazon and order it now. You need to. In the Gravest Extreme and Deadly Force: Understanding Your Right to Self Defense.

Short version, "Stand Your Ground" has nothing to do with your house. The "Castle Doctrine" refers to not having a legal obligation to retreat inside your home, while SYG refers to not being legally-obligated to retreat everywhere else.

However, just because there's no legal obligation doesn't mean retreat isn't the smart thing to do.

On top of that, not having a duty to retreat doesn't suddenly mean lethal force is justified. The majority of states, I think--I haven't sat around and counted--still require the subject to be an immediate, unavoidable, grave threat. At least a few, in the statutes, at least, allow for lethal force against intruders without an overt threat. But again, that's not a kite I'd try to fly.

Quote:
Sounds like alot of work if someone breaks in your house. Perhaps its better to raise the window up and just run out the back yard through the fence and let the intruders do what they need to do.
Uh, yeah. Not killing someone is always preferable to killing someone, even if they're real jerks.

Basically, you're asking the "Can I shoot someone if..." questions. Wrong thing to ask. It's the sort of question that makes CCW instructors figure out how to fail you (presuming they don't just call the issuing authority and report that you're completely insane). The correct question is, "Do I have to use lethal force?".

Quote:
Here in Oklahoma....the CCW instructor...had these words to repeat....when the law arrives...."I was in fear for my life".....castle doctrine takes care of the rest
It friggin' blows my mind that someone could work as a CCW instructor of some sort, and be that...for lack of a better term, stupid.

"I was in fear!" isn't magical legal teflon. You can babble about it all you want, your actions still have to meet the criteria of reasonableness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohica793
A lot depends on the state you live in. Certain states have "Castle" laws which allow you to use deadly force in the defense of your home or vehicle. Some only allow you to defend yourself if your life is in eminent danger and you have no means of escape. Others do not allow deadly force under any circumstance. As to civil action, anyone can sue you for anything and, regardless of merit, it will cost you a sizable sum to defend yourself.
(1) Castle Doctrine has nothing to do with defending your property. Speaking of which, while there are a few defense-of-property states out there, I sure as hell wouldn't recommend trying it.

(2) Please point out to me which of these 50 states makes no provision for using deadly force in self-defense.
The Following 8 Users Like Post: