View Single Post

Old 07-12-2018, 06:53 AM

Liked 4,301 Times in 2,112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glashaus View Post
Lots of 158grain lead and jacketed round nose, semi wad cutters too, they work fine and for a lot of fun, .38 Special full wadcutters. They may have some feed hang up issues now and then but are fun to shoot out of the heavy, 24” barrel 73.
Lots and Lots of pounding my head on the table saying "NO NO NO NO".

NEVER EVER PUT ROUND NOSE AMMUNITION INTO A TUBULAR MAGAZINE Just one primer sitting a smidgen high and you can have the entire magazine light off due to recoil triggering ignition of just one round in the magazine. When that happens one can expect a lot of surgery on the left arm and possibly loss of some fingers from the right hand.

You may want to consider loading your own ammunition. You will not only save lots of cash but you will also have the ability to select bullet profiles specifically suited for use in a tubular magazine. For example Berry's has a hard cast truncated cone bullet that is ideal for steel silhouette or cowboy action shooting. If you want plated, Hornady XTP hollow points are available as hollow or flat points and can withstand 2225 fps (125 grain with 21.5 gr. of H110 from a 20 inch barrel). If you are looking for a cheap 158 grain load for 38 special plinking Extreme bullets offers a very good 157 grain truncated cone bullet with a flat point (1150 fps with 5.8 gr of 3N37).

PS; my favorite lever action is a 1904 vintage 1892 that a previous owner had re-barreled by Winchester in 357 Magnum. With two particular pet loads I've shot 10 shot groups under 1 inch at 100 yards with a peep sight and some help with the Range Master providing spotting and some coaching.
The Following User Likes This Post: