View Single Post

Old 07-12-2018, 12:42 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 22,563 Times in 5,845 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Wheel Man View Post
I agree with everyone on the SIG P220. I have the P220 Stainless Elite and it is an awesome shooter. I also have a Colt Gold Cup, and like many others I believe the 1911 pistols are great. I have been fortunate to locate and purchase a S&W Model 845 Performance Center. The 845 puts them all to shame.
The 845 is a GREAT pistol, a true Heir to the Model 52s performance andd trigger

However comparing the 845 to the SIG P220, even the Elite or the Gold Cup is unfair. The SIGs and Gold Cups are production guns while the 845 is a hand fitted pistol from the Performance Center

For a true comparison between the manufactures you would need one of the P220s that was built in the SIG Master Shop. An older P220 Sport or the newer X6

In terms of groups, all three pistols fall into the same category. The 845s trigger is hard to beat, but the SIG P220 Sport offers a DA/SA trigger that would allow it to be carried

I know you are going to say no one would carry these types of target pistols, however, Texas Ranger Sgt. Aaron Dwayne Williams did carry a P229 Sport as his duty sidearm. I know it is the exception, not the rule but I have a cool picture of a Texas Ranger

BTW, the P229 Sport in 357SIG shoots like a laser, truly awesome

Coming back to the P220, I feel it is one of the finest combat handguns that has ever been produced. There may be guns that shoot tighter groups or guns with better triggers or guns with nicer sights, but as a Combat Handgun, very little outclasses the 45 ACP P220
The Following 3 Users Like Post: