View Single Post

Old 07-12-2018, 02:39 PM
US Veteran

Liked 1,114 Times in 501 Posts
Question HS6 Powder TOO Slow For SNUBBY?

I have been working up a 125xtp load for my 642 2in. using HS6 powder. I have been using my 4in 686 as my load testing gun. I thought I was doing just fine, that is until I tried to chronograph this 125xtp 38+P load in my little 642 snubby.

I know/understand that nearly all reloading books use long barrels in order to maximize FPM. Personally, I do not know of any "Snubby Reloading Manuals" (please post me a link if such exists).

I have attached a screen shot of five strings I ran this morning using my 38 workup loads, both 38 and 38+P. The first four strings are of 38+P loads and the last two are my standard 38 load. Both are for 125xtp bullets.

I thought the results were a fluke, as I had had similar problems recording/chronographing 125xtp yesterday as well. Thought maybe I didn't get the chrono set up properly (too much sun, fluorescent lamps, etc) , so today I set up the chrono with the powered diffuser light, turned of my overhead Fl tubes, and made sure the chrono was further into the shop and away from the sun's glare.

I still got a big FAIL when trying to test these loads on my 2in snubby. When using my 4in 686 and my 2.62in 627PC, I got solid numbers.

Please take a look below, and share your thoughts...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snubby-FAIL-HS6-38+P.jpg (153.0 KB, 126 views)