View Single Post

Old 07-12-2018, 04:16 PM

Liked 43 Times in 10 Posts
Default Update on the 1st Model Triple Lock

Hey to all,
I finally got the S & W letter on the triple lock. Mr. Jinks provided me with the following information on #561. It was shipped from the factory Feb. 19, 1908 to Iver Johnson Sporting Goods Company, Boston, MA. It left the factory in .44 special with a blued finish, checkered non-monogramed grips, 6.5” barrel, bead front sight, and adjustable rear target sight. He acknowledged the changes with no mention of S&W making the changes.
My former Marine Ordnance Chief thought the current configuration the gun lends it self to a shooting competition called Run and Gun. In a bit more research with the previous owner’s family I found was correct about his military affiliation but wrong about his competitive shooting career. However, the previous owner’s father was born around 1894 and a NYC cop in the 20’s making it possible the he was the original purchaser in 1908. This leads me the obvious next question. Is it possible to tap into Iver Johnson Sporting Goods records from the period in question? & How many target models were manufactured?
Any suggestion on more research and opinions on it’s worth will be appreciated. I love S & W’s but not may main area of interest in the collecting world. Ultimately this will find a new home and go to someone who appreciates it place in the S & W lineage.

Thanks for all of the great input.

Tom
The Following 5 Users Like Post: