View Single Post

Old 07-13-2018, 12:23 AM

Liked 3,011 Times in 1,251 Posts

First let me say that if I found a great deal on a model 24 I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

From a practical standpoint I'd say it depends on what you want it for and what fits your lifestyle. For a carry gun I very much like my new model 69. I haven't shot any light "special" loads in it yet but I thought it didn't seem to bad with factory magnums. I know light loads will be a pleasure.

My duty gun for many years was a 629 (6") and I carried Dept issued magnums and had to qualify with same. I shot many hot hand rolled magnums of wheel weights with gas checks in practice along with a bazillion hand rolled cast light loads that were accurate and just fun and pleasant to shoot. Sometimes with the right light I could see them heading to the target. Point being, in most cases I'd say get a magnum. You don't have to shoot hot loads, but you can. You can get used to shooting the magnums with practice if you want to to where you don't think anything of it.

However, I was looking at the Charter Arms Bulldog. I've never liked Charter Arms much but that's a compact 44 special that weighs less than 2/3s what my 69 weighs. Probably half of what my 3" 629 trail Boss weighs. Very tempting indeed.

Apples and oranges but I also have an old Ruger 44 semi-auto carbine, a Marlin lever trapper carbine and a 71/2" super blackhawk. I'm not as 44 saturated as some guys but I'm slowly working on it. A model 24 4 or 6" would be sweet.

Last edited by oink; 07-13-2018 at 12:30 AM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: