View Single Post

Old 07-13-2018, 06:34 AM
US Veteran

Liked 1,114 Times in 501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddocktor View Post
You are getting interference from unburned powder crossing the chrono. If you back off another yard or so it might clear up. I have had the same thing happen with me before; it gave way abnormally low numbers. Moving my chrono out another yard or so stopped the interference in my case.
I actually did back off to about 3-1/2 to 4yd from the chrono, just to see if that was a/the problem. Not clear, but string #5 results may be indicative of such interference. Four of the ten shots were <200fps while the other six shots much higher, with Hi=907fps. Plus, the very first shot in string #2 registered at 978fps! So... maybe...

As far as un-burnt powder on the concrete floor, I didn't really see any, after sweeping and collecting in a dustpan. What I did find was plenty of very fine burnt greenish-black powder remnants. The sound of ALL rounds going off seemed to be the same to me (w/earmuffs).

Also, now thinking/wondering aloud, if a 2in 125xtp snubby MAX is something more like 7.0gr of HS6...? I think I'll work up some @7.0gr and actually test them in a 2in snubby. First though, I still have a box of these loads so I'll back off to at least +5yd from the chrono and see. Both my snubs are DA-only so I need to fire slowly and accurately...

Don't really need 38+P loads for my 4in 686, since I'm getting ~1400fps with my 8lb of N105 in .357 158xtp. What I do not know and would like to see, is penetration & expansion tests related to the 125xtp @1,000fps. Maybe that would be a "safer" SD load in a crowded mall (more expansion with less penetration)...?