View Single Post

Old 07-13-2018, 08:27 PM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 4,671 Times in 1,606 Posts

For some reason, certain Victory models, and all the S-prefix, post war .38 M&Ps fascinate me. Still looking for a nice SV-prefix gun. My interest wains in the M&Ps at the start of the C prefix.

I suppose it is because the early post war were the Victory frames already in production for WWII started to slow down production in mid 1945 toward VE day, while production ceased (for US contract) just prior to VJ day (if I am recalling data correctly).

The S&W M&P was just a small example of the U.S.A. manufacturing power during WWII that was one the main reason we were victorious. Think of all the aircraft, ships, tanks, jeeps, and other vehicles and weapons produced during (and before) were were "officially" involved in WWII. We were manufacturing mega-monsters who rose to the task of manufacturing production quickly and efficiently.

A special thanks to FDR who, while trying to pacify the anti-war congress, started stepping up production in the USA to supply the much needed war hardware and machinery for the Allied forces as far back as the mid 1930s.

Many of the pre-war M&Ps (pre-Victory revolvers) interest me, too. These were standard pre-war production, fine pre-war finishes, finer fit and function. Asking Jack ... say about SN 650,000 for M&P pre-WWII production step-up ??

S&W had ALL THESE Government FRAMES in progress or in stock ... What to do with them?

As the Civilian and domestic Police production was scare to non-existent during WWII, the first guns to fill out all the back orders was the .38 M&P which were sorely needed within the USA. No matter what anyone needed, it seemed if they wanted it fast, they got M&Ps.

I think I confirmed this with Jack before but from V1 to S999,999 were one million Victory and early post-war .38 M&Ps produced between 1942 and 1946-47 time frame. Jack ??? Am i "in there" with the production?

Last edited by model3sw; 07-13-2018 at 08:55 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: