View Single Post

Old 07-14-2018, 07:22 AM

Liked 13,496 Times in 5,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott in NCal View Post
my 15 year old nephew has non hunting parents so I am more or less in charge of getting him ready for the field this fall. For the rifle I am thinking this is a no brainer, in the gun safe is a 243 Remington 700 and a 6.5 x 55 Ruger 77. Perfect choices. He how ever expressed an interest in "that one" . "That one" is a 7 1/2 pound Vanguard in 300 Weatherby that I acquired at a Pheasants Forever fundraiser years before he was born. The thing terrifies me and it has never been fired. That is what he wanted though, and after consulting with his parents 4 boxes of ammo were ordered on the internet. Less than $ 35 a box delivered. Remarkably affordable I thought, for a 300 Weatherby anyway. The first 20 rounds were shot off the bench (by him) to zero the no name scope and to "get a feel for it". The next 20 were from field positions. He did fine. the rifle is accurate, most groups from the rest were less than 2 inches. The next day I asked him if his shoulder hurt, no, not really he said just a bit sore. Opening day of deer season i am giving him that rifle.
Sounds like he earned it. Based on what you posted about him it appears you are going to have a serious shooter in the family as he ages!