Thread: Mid Range .357
View Single Post

Old 07-14-2018, 11:24 AM

Liked 138 Times in 85 Posts
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleydrivinglawnerd View Post
Do you use magnum primers with that much unique?
Do you get any lead fouling at that speed?

I had some 38 spl. 158 grain LSWC loaded with 4.8 grains Unique and it seems I was getting some leading at those loads.

Love to load some 357 magnum but have been worried about leading.

Thanks
Magnum primers are not needed with Unique, or many other common .38 Spl/357 Magnum powders. Bullseye, Blue Dot, Universal, AA#5, Love Potion #9, etc., etc.

For years, I shot a home cast bullet. WW/scrap/ 50-50 bar solder/fishing sinkers, melted on my Coleman camp stove. I fondly hoped the mix was somewhere close to Lyman #2 alloy. 150 gr RCBS swc mould, sized to the cylinder mouths....357, 5,5 gr of Unique=860 fps, no leading.
Commercial "hard" cast, same load= leading, soooo, I solved the problem by buying a Lewis Lead Remover kit. Works fine.

Now, I use 6.0 gr Unique, which is as close to Magnum as I want to be. Except...maybe hunting Saber-Tooth Tigers. which I don't do any more...No more room on the walls for another head and my wife's quilting. SHE says at 79, I'm getting too old! I'm sure I don't know what she is talking about!

New revolver, now, .358 cylinder mouths, boolits sized for them.

Worrying takes all the fun out of it, when there are remedies. Do the best you can, don't sweat the small stuff, shoot often and much,and FEAR NOT!
The Following User Likes This Post: