View Single Post

Old 07-14-2018, 05:55 PM

Liked 968 Times in 319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BE Mike View Post
That's quite a statement. I don't suppose there are any real facts to back up that claim? Actually not smoking or eating when shooting or reloading will help reduce exposure to lead. Cleaning up immediately after shooting/ reloading, especially with specially made products, is good, too.
I have plenty of facts and data to "back up" the claim that shooting in an indoor range without a respirator will elevate your serum (blood) lead levels. In my case, it's about 10 years of records tracking changes in my own serum lead. I used to spend about 4 evenings a week in indoor ranges. My all-time high was 31 mcg/dl, reduced to 16 mcg/dl after one year of respirator use, then to about 8 mcg/dl a year later. Bounced back up to 16 mcg/dl when I thought newer and stronger exhaust fans at our range would solve the problem (they didn't). I put the respirator back on, and the levels came down again. I also have data from others on my shooting team(s) that show the same, the worst case being one individual at over 60 mcg/dl, reduced similarly with respirator use.

Your are correct about washing after handling lead and lead-contaminated objects as a good means of decreasing exposure to environmental lead.

I spent many years working as an environmental, safety & health consultant and know a good bit more about this stuff than the average bear. The lead issue is real - sure, there are plenty of other more important health risks, but it's real, and can be avoided with a few relatively simple behavioral modifications.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: