View Single Post

Old 07-14-2018, 06:46 PM

Liked 20 Times in 10 Posts

I had to replace my extractor as has everyone I know due to the odd issue... I’m also in the trade so see it all the time. For the sake of £15 for a Volquartsen it’s worth doing without a doubt & it’s a do it yourself 10 minute job. But agree the PC isn’t worth the extra & ive had S&W tell me that too! & without hesitation buy more mags, lots more as they start to split after a while being polymer. Not cheap here though so shop around, but Riflemags.co.uk seem to be the cheapest, otherwise get some in the US when you visit.
Distribution in the U.K. has just changed hands to so prices are going to be cheaper once everyone sells their current stock so hold out a little longer if you can & get a better deal, shops won’t drop current stock prices as they paid more for them off the old distributor, & trust me margins on new guns in the U.K. are stupidly low.. We are talking single figure percentages.
MTC scopes are decent but made for Daystate who make air rifles (same company), as has been said the recoil is non-existent on a 15-22 so not an issue but that’s their main audience air rifles, as that’s what they’re designed for. Honestly don’t rule out Vortex, full lifetime warranty should you damage it & it’s transferable too! So buying a used one isn’t an issue. All you do is take it to a dealer who’ll send it off for you where it gets replaced, no one else in this price point offers anything close.
Also look at Falcon if you want a ‘scope’ over a red dot, they do a really nice one called the S8-I http://www.falconoptics.com/s8i-1-8x24-riflescope it’s tested up to .338 LM so you know it’ll be fine on a rimfire. Or if you can get one a UTG scope would be a good option, cheap to buy when you can find one this side of the pond & more than capable of doing the job. In fact at Shot show next Jan I’ll be chatting to UTG amoung others.
First mods you’ll do is to take the end cap off & colour fill, then depending what you want out of it get a chop done & re-crown. Next up ambi safety, oversized mag release, magwell (I’m biased on that part though) change your trigger but to start you could again spend £15 & get some JP springs to start of with until you can dump £160 on a decent drop in unit. AFG grip, BAD style lever & that’s pretty much it. Do all that & it’ll be an all singing all dancing ready to go mini rifle set for competition.
At the end of the day non of those mentioned above are bad, but it’s what you want out of it? Yes MTC have Daystate behind them so they’re decent but you pay silly money like you would do for their air rifles, you pay Vortex money in fact but without the warranty! Had you said you had a bolt action rifle for vermin control or similar then I’d say yeh go for it but you’ve got a semi auto for the range & possibly mini rifle down the line when you get in to it more which is my background, practical & 3Gun. Horses for courses as we say over here.
Something to think about anyway.