View Single Post

Old 07-15-2018, 09:17 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 651 Times in 244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by model3sw View Post
Prior to NOW seeing 2623, I had reported to BBGV that the Pre-39s are in the 1001 to 2605 (apx) range. ( I have 2605).

I'll amend that data to now include "up to" (appx) 2623.

As a personal opinion, I don't think that S&W woke up one morning and started to stamp model numbers. I'd venture to consider there are likely some overlapping serial numbers in the range, with and without the MODEL 39 designation ... similar to the end of the MODEL39 and the commencement of the MODEL 39-2 series .... I KNOW there are many overlaps that bounce both ways between the MODEL 39 and MODEL 39-2 some 1000 serial numbers ( or more ) as I cited in one of my prior posts here.

Thank you !
You are most welcome, Sal.

Further, after having seen your contributions, I'm tickled pink we're finally starting to gain some traction on this subject.

As to your thought that S&W didn't one morning awake, etc., methinks one four-digit Model 39 in my collection will buttress your idea. Maybe even beyond your wildest expectations.

I'll post some pics of it in a couple-or-three hours and, of course, verbiage with it (rarely am I at a loss for written words, though I tend to "listen," which is distinct from "talk," for disdained in this quarter is a running mouth without stoppage)

Oh, BTW: Jesse Harpe . . . I visited his store more than a few times, starting long before I was allowed to drive . . . well, at least on public highways. AW Peterson's store in Eustis is another longtime dealer - gunsmith of considerable 19th Century historical note, too - that drew the attention of those with whom I rode. It remains in the Peterson family's ownership and I suspect most anyone who'd pick up the phone there could either vividly recall or immediately call someone else to the phone who could recall Harpe details.

Now, I'm gonna do some "shooting."

Later.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: