Thread: opening a knife
View Single Post

Old 07-16-2018, 03:48 PM

Liked 16,951 Times in 3,692 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveno View Post
as I have said in another thread I have a Spyderco sst police model and it is a well made knife. however do to blade length of 4 inches it could be a problem of carrying as the magic number in Nebraska is a 3.500 inch blade length. the main problem I have with it is I don’t seem to get enough thumb purchase in the hole to open it so I end up opening it just like a regular pocket knife. the other problem is that it doesn’t allow for a “tip up” carry. I keep it in my range bag.
By chance I ran across a social media thread concerning the reasoning behind Spyrderco switching from tip down clip carry to tip up clip carry.

Apparently, the first thumbhole Spyderco models came with heavy stainless handles/scales. They were drilled for tip down clip carry only, to save on production costs. They were also meant to be one hand deployed using the Spyder Drop technique.

You grab the Spyderhole in the blade with thumb and index finger from the back of the blade, flick, and the weight of the handle will lock the blade. One still has to rotate the knife in your hand to get it in a usable position.

When Spyderco introduced lighter and less expensive FRN Seki City models this deployment technique became more difficult to master. With the lower cost they added tip up clip position holes and made tip up the default clip placement. It is my understanding, that this was intended to keep the less than expert folks from flinging their light weight knives into the ground while trying to impress folks.

I can do the Spyder Drop with my oldest well worn Delica. It's an impressive show. There is a lot of showmanship and bling with knives. Lots of knives work in different ways. There is no such thing as the best knife, only the right knife for the job at hand. All in all I just want the blade to be open and ready to use when I need to use it.