View Single Post

Old 07-17-2018, 09:49 AM

Liked 674 Times in 310 Posts

First, I have not shot the Saint, but have owned other AR pistols.

7.5” ARs in .223 are dumb. I owned one about eight years ago, so am speaking from my experience. Too much loss of velocity, too much flame and too much noise. Basically you have an unpleasant noisemaker that is trying to make a 20” barrel-intended cartridge work in less than 40% of tube. Dumb.

I do have a great 10.5” LMT AR pistol, still loud/blasty but much more controllable. Also is dramatically more likely to maximize the potential of the .223 cartridge. It also gives you enough handguard to adequately grasp. I found the 7.5” handguard was very short and I felt somewhat uncomfortable about the safety implications.

The 300BLK cartridge seems to be a totally different situation in shorter barrels, which it was designed to master. If it was me, 300BLk makes much more sense for home defense and a car gun. The issue is the significant price differential for blasting range ammo between the two, with .223 being half the price. YMMV.

I have a 9mm AR pistol from QC10 using Glock mags. That is the most fun to take to the range and most economical.
The Following User Likes This Post: