View Single Post

Old 07-18-2018, 09:28 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 12,779 Times in 1,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondo44 View Post
Very interesting!

The best news is it is an original target model and the bead front sight was a special order option.

My priority would be to re-establish it as a full target model with an original rear sight and front target bead sight, You can't put the missing inches back on the barrel but it's generally more desired in its present length, albeit not by a collector. The restoration of original sights is the only thing that could potentially add a little value back at this point.

There are ~13,375 of the “44 Hand Ejector Military – Model 1908”, i.e., 1st Model Triple Locks produced, with an estimated 10% as target models.

Targets in better condition and in original configuration have sold in the $3-4000 range. As it sits now however, is difficult to value. Desirability varies by person but interest would be highest for someone excited about a project gun. The letter is a great enhancement by confirming it's an original target. Opinions on value will vary greatly but a $900 -$1000 range might be a reasonable starting point.
I am loath to disagree with Jim on anything S&W, but I would like to add my 2 cents.

The gun will *never* be a correct Target again because of the barrel length. Unless someone very skilled (and expensive) does any restoration to it a value increase on the gun may not be more then what you pay to restore it. Or maybe even less.

There's history in these modifications, and they are well done.

If you can establish some actual provenance regarding the military matches, i.e. establish who owned it and maybe find records of matches that the guy was in, you have a good example of a historical kind of competition modification which has been kind of neglected over the years.

Personally, I love these 'Fixed Sight Targets' or 'Half Targets', and own a number of them now. They were done for various reasons and when I find those reasons they are so often interesting.

If you are looking at the restoration as something you want to do I would suggest acquiring the correct parts (a correct single screw rear sight, and the front sight), and just having them with the gun for the future. I think you would likely gain as much, or maybe more, value to the package in that fashion, without excluding the military collectors who (I believe) are going to find this style of modification increasingly more interesting over the years.
The Following User Likes This Post: