Thread: Woods Revolver
View Single Post

Old 07-19-2018, 02:20 AM

Liked 534 Times in 236 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfors View Post
When hunting season rolls around, regs dictate that, if I carry a hand gun, it must have, at least, a 4” bbl, and generate at least 550 foot pounds of energy, at 50 yards. That sounds like a .44 Magnum, to me
Of course, it's much easier to hit that benchmark with a 44 magnum, but a 357 magnum with a 4 inch barrel is easily capable of generating 550 ft/lbs @ 50 yards with heavy ammo such as 180 grain hardcast flatnose bullets moving at close to 1400 fps out of the gate, which puts it in the neighborhood of 780 ft/lbs at the muzzle. If you handload, a 173 grain LSW would also be a good choice. 158 grains @ just under 1500 fps would make the grade as well. Understand, these are not commercial loads. They represent the ragged edge of what the caliber is capable of with modern powders and yes your model 66 can take the heat. Heavy loads like this will increase the wear and tear on the gun, but aren't going to blow it up.

Buffalo Bore and Underwood both offer a 180 grain load that is rated at just under 1400 fps out of a 4-inch barrel. I've shot the Underwood offering out of my model 66 and the recoil is stout as you can imagine, but nevertheless manageable. I actually find the heavy ammo easier on the hand and ears than very hot and light (sub-158gr) loads.

Last edited by SeamasterSig; 07-19-2018 at 02:22 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: