View Single Post

Old 07-19-2018, 06:54 AM
US Veteran

Liked 1,114 Times in 501 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise_A View Post
Tony's Bullseye Blog: Repost: Consistency: The Product of Adhearing Together

Personally, I found myself with an absolute ton of .38 Spl cases--a few thousand. After cleaning, I sorted them by brand only (which isn't really much of a sort) into a few plastic jars about the size of coffee cans. I've got marked jars for Winchester, Federal, Remington-Peters, and Everything Else, plus a couple more partial jars of nickel'd Winchester, Federal, and Everything Else.

I don't think I gained a lot in accuracy (I'm only shooting these out to 17 or 25 yards), but the finished product looks very neat. There's much less variation in case-to-crimp groove.

I prefer Winchester brass above all others. R-P tends to have a soggier-feeling primer pocket. I don't know exactly why exactly I like the Federal less. Probably no particular reason. It took time to sort this way, but since my .38s are only going into revolvers, I only had to do it once.

BINGO! Just what the doctor ordered...

The above answers my OP concerns. My OTHER concern, and the one that continues to raise its ugly head is... Total cartridge weight for a given bullet + load.

Why am I concerned:
  1. All completed cartridges look alike, other than brass brand.
  2. The weight differences in same brand loads can help detect differences 125gr and 158gr or heavier bullets.
  3. What if I miss-load a cartridge and don't "catch" it? Can I catch it "after" reloading?
  4. Different brass brand weights vary a lot between brands, and a just a little within one/same brand.

While I doubt that my own accuracy at the range will ever show with using Tony's Bullseye Blog, I just want to make sure and double check the accuracy of my reloading runs. Does THAT make me just "half-anal" or "completely-anal"?