View Single Post

Old 07-19-2018, 09:57 AM

Liked 25,709 Times in 8,687 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieviper View Post
I have a set of Ahrends Retro Combat grips that are finished in pure tung oil. Looking at some beautiful grips on another thread that were finished in Tru-Oil made me start thinking about re-finishing mine. I'm not looking for a high gloss but I would like my wood to have a little more sheen than it does currently has.

Does anyone have experience re-finishing stocks that had a pure tung oil finish? Any advice would be appreciated!
I've been using Hopes Brand 100% Tung Oil since 1978 with excellent results all the time! I've used it on furniture, stocks, grips, moulding, picture frames - you name it!

For Guns I usually apply 6 - 8 coats (one per day) and if you leave the final coat alone, you will have a shine - but if you want more of a satin finish just lightly hit it with some 0000 steel wool for a few seconds.

REALLY lasts and if you ever scuff, ding or damage an area, just repair, scuff up and apply several more coats - works like a charm! The GREAT thing is if you use the 100% stuff, it NEVER goes bad, never expires and never has to be thrown out due to age! There are no solvents in it to evaporate or separate.
It is also non-toxic so you can apply and rub in with your bare hands.

Many don't know this, but originally the US Military used Linseed Oil on their Rifles but switched to 100% Tung Oil when the Linseed Oil created problems due to its failure to dry properly. Tung Oil dries 100% and quickly. A Truly GREAT product! make SURE you get 100% Tung Oil and NOT a product that just contains it!

Last edited by chief38; 07-19-2018 at 09:59 AM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: