Thread: Woods Revolver
View Single Post

Old 07-19-2018, 06:27 PM

Liked 3,801 Times in 733 Posts

I have backpacked all over the world for years. When I lived in Los Angeles I would carry a S&W Model 65-1 357 mag on long trips into the bush, 4" barrel loaded with 180 Federal Castcore bullets. On one trip alone, I had a stand-off with an angry black bear who wanted my food. I was six miles in, all alone and it was getting dark. Cut to the chase, we both lived... I got away and the bear has a nice meal.

After that I traded up to my S&W 629-4 44 mag, 5" barrel loaded with 300gr Federal Castcore Hammerhead. That made me feel better...

As I got older I switched again to my S&W 629-3 44 mag in 4" barrel loaded with 300gr Federal Castcore Hammerhead again. It was lighter and my trips got shorter. I am happy with my choices, it worked for me.

And on some occasions I carried my Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 mag, old 3 screw with a 7.5" barrel. Kinda big, but a beauty to carry. In my many years in the back bush I came across all kinds of large animals, only once did I have troubles. However there was two dudes on the trail with their knives out in hand acting all 'Deliverance' bad until I turned to show my 44 magnum on my hip. They left making a wide turn away from me. Another victory!

Note the Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum, 1965, three screw, 7.5" on my hip.

Last edited by Mehutch; 07-19-2018 at 07:26 PM.
The Following 7 Users Like Post: