View Single Post

Old 07-19-2018, 07:10 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 2,123 Times in 301 Posts

Well, I ran by my gunsmith's shop to grab 29aholics new old stocks to ship and lo and behold, my 38/44 OD is refinished. I was pretty surprised.

I went back into the vault and there it was with a new coat of blue. The new trigger and hammer set had not been replaced. I was feeling a little upset. The finish was not up to what I had in my head.

Now I know why people tell you not to try and restore your old S&W. how does the old saying go, you can chrome plate feces, but it is still...? Not that this 38/44 OD is feces, but it's cosmetic condition was very bad and feces-like. My smith explained that there was significantly more pitting and blemish problems under the Parkerization than he had expected. He felt it better to save the new components for a better deserving gun. He saved me some money and did a shooter quality restoration.

I do not have to worry about taking this one out. I am not in it as much as I thought I would be, and if I want to have it done to a higher level, there are still other options. He did not over buff or sand it too much. It still has quite a bit of the roll marks.

While looking it over, I noticed there was a stamp on the butt that resembled one that I had read about in Andy52's thread about his TL. Looks to be ODIN ALEX VA. This must be another Mexican Import.

Though it is not done to level that I had intended it be done, it is a much more presentable shooter than when I bought it.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Last edited by M_conrad_0311; 07-19-2018 at 08:47 PM.
The Following 6 Users Like Post: