View Single Post

Old 07-20-2018, 07:05 PM

Liked 321 Times in 151 Posts

1 clean revolver really clean

2 factory 148 HBWC target ammo. May not be best load but will be a good one. Will also eliminate your loading as a cause bc we're checking your revolver not you.

3 go to range on a good day. Take plenty of sandbags and a good rest if available.

4 if you have a 22 target pistol take it. It is your control to see if you are having a good day at the bench before you shoot your M14 for group size. The 22 will tell you if you're having a good day or a bad day.

5 do you have a buddy who is really good shooting handguns off a bench? If so recruit him. Results from 2 shooters will help tell whether it is you or the handgun.

What I'm suggesting is eliminating as many variables as possible to see if your revolver shoots or was made on a Tuesday after a 3 day drunkfest weekend. You may be a great handleader but maybe haven't found THE load. You might be a great pistol shot off the bench or maybe shooting a handgun off the bench isn't in your skill set. BTW handguns off the bench and me don't mix at all even though I'm really good w a rifle off a bench. I'm not being critical just pointing out you're another variable. Your loading may also be a variable. May be a plus might be a minus. Finding out if your revolver shoots well by eliminating all possible variables will tell.

See how your revolver shoots w as many variables removed as possible. I'm repeating that on purpose.

One of my most accurate centerfire handguns is a M14. One of the worst I ever owned was a different M14. One the bad one the front of the cylinder wasn't cut square. You could measure the bore cylinder gap and get different measurements depending on which chamber was lined up.

Next look at the sights on your 1911 compared to your M14. How you see the sights makes a difference. I need a lot of daylight in the rear sight to shoot a handgun well. Some folks shoot better w a tight notch.

Are you shooting your M14 SA or DA? Call me Captain Obvious but I'm trying to dx problems w/o being there.

How is the SA trigger pull on your M14 compared to your 1911?

Do you have a set of grips that fit YOU on the M14? Guys on this site are queer for original factory grips. I hate them, can't shoot w them and until folks started paying obscene money for them I either gave them away or threw them out w the box. Forum admin please don't send a hit team for that comment admission.

Finally if you don't realize it there are guys who are a little red wagon and all that w a 1911 who can't hit anything w a revolver and vice versa. Make sure you are evaluating your revolver and not you. That is not a criticism. Personally I'm good w a revolver shooting DA. SA not so good. With a 1911 big target close and shooting fast I'm really good. I regularly outshoot guys who blow me away for pure accuracy shooting. 25 yard SLOW fire group like off a bench is my weakest part of my game w any handgun.

I hope that helps sort this out. Hope you find your M14 is great and it's one of the variables making you unhappy. If so you can beat that. Finally I hope I didn't step on your toes. Sure didn't mean too. I've seen loading variables and shooting and shooter variables make a guy think his firearm was the problem. My gunsmith built his son a basic but very solid hunting rifle. The boy couldn't hit w it. The boy decided it was crud. I sat down at the bench and shot a 3 shot .75 inch group w cheap factory ammo. Offered to buy the rifle. Kid decided that while he was really good w an AK maybe he needed to learn how to bench a scoped bolt rifle. Good luck.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: