View Single Post

Old 07-22-2018, 07:33 AM

Liked 4,917 Times in 1,706 Posts

One of the above posters stated that he was surprised that so few LEOs know about LEOSA...I think the reason is that most of them don't care. 95+% of the LEOs I have worked with didn't carry a gun off-duty when they were full time...and they are going to carry after they retire....at their own expense...

When I worked for Dallas PD we were required to be armed off duty if we were in the city....from what I was told that changed in the 1990s and don't know what the policy is now. In the two smaller departments I worked for after, in the 38 man department only two of us carried off-duty. When both of us went to a 68 man department only us and the chief firearms instructor carried. I was just talking with with the chief firearms instructor in the town I was from in Connecticut. He said that "maybe" 25% of their officers carry off-duty....I'll bet it isn't even 10%.

Anyone come from a department that has a high percentage of officers who carry off-duty and have a lot of officers doing the LEOSA program after retirement?

Bob
The Following User Likes This Post: