View Single Post

Old 07-23-2018, 02:18 AM

Liked 6,021 Times in 1,305 Posts

I know that thousands of shooters have had great success with Bullseye, Unique and W231 for decades. But I have found Tightgroup to be a better powder for me!

I have 1911’s in both .45 and 9mm. My .45 (Springfield) was not reaching power factor (170) with maximum loads of W231, a locally repackaged Winchester Action Powder (another well known accurate powder) or Tightgroup. I carefully increased loads .1 gain at a time with all three powders until I reached the PF I required.

W231 and WAP were not bad, but there was always a “loose” shot or two in any 5 round group. Tightgroup, however, had no “loose” shots and even the “central” group was tighter. In my 9mm (Kimber) a maximum load grouped better than a load reduced by .2 gn, even though average velocities were identical.

I have a drill where I shoot a 3/4 size popper at about 10-12 meters which activates a 3 target clamshell at 12-15 meters. The three rear “shoot” targets rise and 1 second after they reach the top of the arc the three front “no shoot” targets rise up leaving a 100 mm (4 inch) strip of the IPSC target A zone showing.

I can usually get two A zone hits in the nearest target to the popper and one in the centre target before the “no shoots” get in the way. The second round on the center target and both rounds on the furtherest from the popper are aimed at that 100 mm A zone strip as fast as I can fire and obtain another sight picture. Usually the two shots in the furtherest target are about an inch apart in that A zone.

In .38 special I load a maximum charge of Tightgroup under a 148 gn plated HBWC. Firing my 6” 686 from prone single action I shot the target below at 50 yards.

I realise Tightgroup will not be for everyone but for me it has become my go to accuracy powder in maximum loads.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 42DAB7C9-2853-4671-B394-00DC62A96F29.jpg (48.6 KB, 11 views)