View Single Post

Old 07-23-2018, 04:32 AM

Liked 1,636 Times in 681 Posts

You'll probably find that 180gr bullet/9.5gr of universal clays combo a bit boring. A couple of years ago I was making/testing home swaged jacketed bullets trying to get the huge hp to stay intact. Took 4 or 5 try's with different alloys. Was testing velocities/inpacts @ 25yds that would simulate/duplicate 75yd to 100yd hits with full house loads. I was using 9.5gr of univeral clays pushing a 265gr jacketed bullet for those tests.

Most powder mfg's are behind the times & as usual reloaders are at the front of the learning curve with any new products that are out there. It's good that you have bullets that are close to the same weight. It's all about case volume. Take your known data/xtp bullet and find out where the base of that xtp bullet sits in the case. If you can, seat the cast bullet so it's base is at the same depth as the xtp bullet. If the cast bullets base is deeper, you have less case volume/more pressure for the same load. If the cast bullets base doesn't sit as deep as the xtp's bullets base, you'll have less pressure for the same load/more case volume.

The only way you'll get leading with a coated bullet is if you scrap the coating off while seating the bullet in the case. Earlier this year I playing around with cast bullets in a 308w. I tested lead vs coated bullets in head to head testing. The cast bullet I did the tests with.

2600fps and change with the coated bullet pictured above.

Later I tested the same coated bullet with 2700fps loads. A picture of the bbl of the 308w/bore scope.

As you can see I started getting black streaks in the bbl @ 2700fps. Bore-tech eliminator took those streaks out. Just got done doing some testing with 158gr cast/coated bullets in 357 cases using mp-300, H110 & 2400 powders. I tested full house loads/same loads of each powder in 2 1/2", 4", 6", 8" & 10" bbl'd firearms. The 2 1/2" bbl did 1200fps and the same load did 1600fps+ in the 10" bbl. No leading/streaking/nothing but a little powder residue that 1 wet patch of hoppe's #9 and 1 dry patch took care of.

500+ rounds down the tube in a 9mm with cast/coated bullets & a 25,000+psi/1100fps load.

Again 1 wet patch of hoppe's #9 and 1 dry patch to clean that 500+ round bbl. No scrubbing/brushes/nada, just patches.

Find the seating depth of both of your bullets and adjust your loads to the case volumes of the bullets.
The Following User Likes This Post: