View Single Post

Old 07-24-2018, 10:36 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Sherrill View Post
With rifles or revolvers, you can apply a surface color, and some of those finishes -- especially if professionally done -- can be quite hard. With a semi-auto, cycling the slide and barrel will eventually wear away parts of any applied colored finish on the barrel, and only chrome-plating (or a stainless barrel) will resist the normal marks of use and routine wear.

Your best bet would be pick a color you like for the controls (slide stop, trigger, mag release) and just have the barrel polished to a high gloss.

Chrome plating the barrel (and controls) may be an option, but I've never heard of anyone plating a semi-auto barrel after purchase. Polishing looks just about as good, and you can touch it up yourself if needed.

Putting time and money into changing barrel color is kind of a waste, as about the only time anyone can see a colored or plated barrel is when the gun is being field stripped...
So if I wanted a gold type color for the barrel, what is my best bet for durability? I go to the range and put about 2-300 rounds through it a week, so I'm sure it'll show signs of wear pretty quick.

As for visibility, yeah, it's really only for my own satisfaction, as I hope I never have to really show it to anyone who doesn't want to see it. But with the lightning cuts in the black slide, red trigger, red mag release, and other matching gold locks and such... it'd look awesome. ;-)

Thanks.