View Single Post

Old 07-26-2018, 09:33 PM

Liked 3,927 Times in 2,366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Cop View Post
Would you be willing to stand in front of a .380???? Why hell no you won't and neither would I.

I had a nut shoot at me with a 1911 and a 230 grain ball round. The round hit me in the duty belt and was stopped by my pants belt underneath. (2) 158 grain .38 special rounds in return put his lamps out for good. When I was hit, it didn't knock me down or even backwards any. It felt like being hit with a pitched baseball while at bat that's all.

These myths about knock down power and just that myths. We all know that every action has an equal and opposite reaction by the law of physics. Knowing that, any gun that could shoot a knock down round would knock the shooter down when he shot it. I was bruised but still here.

Our military are issued high powered rifles for a reason. A .22 caliber bullet moving at 3,000 FPS does a lot of damage on the inside bouncing around. Just ask Congressmen Steve Scalies who took a NATO 5.56 (.22 caliber) to the hip a while back.

Handguns are very poor man stoppers, regardless of caliber. Shutting down the central nervous system by a head shot will stop just about anything that moves on GOD"S green earth and again caliber is irrelevant.

Carry what you feel comfortable with and be safe out there. It is a nasty dirty world and that I can tell you from years of experience and not pithy gun forum rhetoric and bovine excrement.
That line is getting realy phrikin old. I dont want to stand in front of a guy with a pointy stick. Please, as a retired leo, I would expect better.
Agree, handguns are poor stoppers with com hits, but they are not all the same, not by a quite a bit. If you think a 380 fmj is the same as a 125gr jhp from a 357mag or 230gr jhp in a 45, well ya just havent shot enough living things with any of them. Yes eberything fails, but rds like the old 158gr lrn failed a lot more.
Btw, I believe the congressman was shot with a 7.62x39 SKS.

Last edited by fredj338; 07-26-2018 at 09:38 PM.