View Single Post

Old 07-27-2018, 09:11 AM

Liked 338 Times in 94 Posts

All, thank you for these responses. I really appreciate it.

I should have clarified a little more about my reduced-power loads than half a sentence. I will be shooting these the vast majority of the time. Yes, these full-power loads kick like a mule and it’s overkill for me in 99% of situations.

Also, I need to reduce wear and tear on my wrists, they already get a lot of stress riding my Sportbike long distances with my buddies. I never thought about that, but I did notice they were way more sore than normal the next ride I took, and those little bones are already 58 years old.

My accurate reduced-power loads in this revolver are using Winchester WSF with Berry’s 240gr LSWCs, Starline cases and Federal standard large pistol primers. I read on here that it is cleaner-burning than the “new” Unique I have, and I also have 2400. I have not used it yet.

I’ll move it to 25 yards and try again, that is not a problem. I read on here it seemed that 10 yards is what guys were using but if most of you use 25 for load testing I can easily do that too.

I appreciate and understand a Ransom Rest is really the way to go but I’m ok with using the sandbags I have, not letting the gun touch them but to support a proper sight picture, a Weaver grip, proper breathing and a nice slow trigger squeeze. If I feel I’m going to flinch I do not pull the trigger, I let down and give things a rest like I do with my bow.

Not a problem with the lower power loads but I was starting to enter that territory a couple of times with the larger loads, I have to admit!

I can fight that though, I wait a bit, relax and go back to just letting the gun do it’s thing when firing while relaxing as much as possible one can do while shooting a .44 Magnum. It is going to anyway so why fight it and relaxing gives me far better accuracy. Otherwise I feel I’d just be flinging bullets downrange and that is a waste of everything involved.

Please keep thoughts coming, I’m learning a lot. I like the load suggestion that works in multiple revolvers of the same type, that is what I am aiming for but if I have to use different loads for the four 29/629 variants I have and my 57 I will. I keep very detailed records.

I learned on here that H110 is not safe to load down so I did not, this, it is what I used in these higher-velocity loads.