View Single Post

Old 07-28-2018, 07:02 AM

Liked 130 Times in 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddocktor View Post
Actually, I think the primary reason the Endurance Package came about was due to the abuse the silhouette shooters were putting on their 29's.
Most of my experience shooting hot .44 Magnums came from the years I was shooting Silhouette matches, back in the day. You needed both accuracy and high terminal energy to succeed in that game. And lighting off 80 hot rounds at those distances - the ram is at 219 yards - separates the men from the boys! On weekends I didn't have a match I'd be at the range testing loads. Probably averaged 500 upper-end .44 Magnum rounds a month.

My 6 1/2" Model 29 was always my favorite big magnum. But it quickly became obvious that it was never engineered to take such a pounding. I couldn't afford the Dan Wesson revolver that was de rigueur among Silhouette shooters at the time, and ended up buying a 7.5" Ruger Redhawk. The big Ruger heartily ate up all the punishment I gave it, and to this day if I really want to test the limits of that caliber... that's what I'll turn to. But it's action was never as sweet as a Smith. I forbade myself to even pick up my Model 29 during the week before a match.