View Single Post

Old 07-30-2018, 12:25 PM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 4,671 Times in 1,606 Posts
Arrow with sole credit and thanks to Richard McMillan

The most significant research work on early 9mm and subsequent S&W pistols was executed by Richard McMillan in 2004 published in the S&WCA Journal, spring 2006. Richard's article was (then) and is still, now, a magnificent, ground-breaking labor of love for the S&W Autos.

In the past 14 years since the first print of Richard's work, there have been new developments that we should submit here for Richard to review and amended, as he is "the" original Model 39 guru. Richard helped me immensely in my early years of Model 39 collecting and still till this day provides pearls of wisdom from his ongoing quest for research.

Richard indicates that about about SN 8000 the short safety lever was replaced by the longer safety release lever. I believe that may have been a typographical error as new research cuts that serial number range down to approximately SN Range of 3000-4000. Or, it could be correct, as printed. Everyone needs to pitch in with data to affirm these (and other) changes.

Richard also shows some very low serial numbers he calls "reissues" that are model marked MODEL 39 (SN: 1917) and have the long release lever. Author Kevin Williams (IIRC) noted a small batch of very low (pre-39) serial numbers that shipped many years later with MODEL 39 stamped, prior to being shipped.

I also believe the flat follower magazine went away much earlier than Richard had previously thought. Also, there are several revisions or minor changes to the stamped steel, figure 8 magazines that should be researched further.

Also, in the photos of the magazines for the Model 52 and 52A, while the descriptions are impeccable, the two photos are reversed. The one designated at the 52 is the 52A, and the one designated as teh 52A is actually the 52.

>>>> Awhile back I had offered a link to download a copy of the scanned version of this article by Richard McMillan. I will do so, again, if it will help us gain serious investigative research assistants ... HOWEVER ... ACCORDING TO S&WCA and FORUM rules, I can offer this download link to my scanned version of Richard's article to S&WCA members, ONLY. SORRY to all you others. Email me from my profile link in this Forum, stating your name and S&WCA Member ID number, please. <<<<

Also, for many years we thought that 2605 (which I own) was the latest pre-39. We now have proof of 2624 being the highest known SN on a Pre-39 and I wouldn't be surprised if a few more showed up a bit higher than 2624 wherein we can also expect a few in the transition period to be found with various markings.

Richard also noted that at ( or about ) SN: A 121000 the 39-2 commenced. Since there have been earlier serial numbers verified. One is SN 109000 (no A prefix) which is a legitimate 39-2 with the new, short extractor slide. The -2 is in a smaller typeset seemingly added to the MODEL 39 as the SN: 109000 is directly centered over the MODEL 39, with the -2 added is no longer centered. See post #13 in this thread.

I had owned a consecutive set of model 39s, (not 39-2s), for over 20 years. They were non-factory engraved. They had been shipped to Texas dealer, Wolf & Klar in a larger order of Model 39s, all NOT engraved. These two were serial Numbers 109475 and 109476 that truly ARE Model 39s in every sense of the definition. Stamped "MODEL 39", long extractor, no A prefix, etc.

This research should be considered a "work in progress", with all of us pitching in with new data.

SHORT EXCERPT from Richard's article of 2004 (START)

1.3 The Pre-39s
The first production run of the Model 39 was in late 1954, and the first fifteen hundred guns or so are referred to by collectors as Pre-39s because they are not marked with a model number.

The serial numbers fall between 1001 and 2600 and are intermixed with the Model 41 serial numbers. Model numbers were not assigned until 1958, so this group of Pre-39s represents the first three years of production. In fact, some of the Pre-39 features appear intermittently up to approximately serial number 8000.

The distinguishing features of the Pre-39 compared to the Model 39 are as follows:

Short safety
Short tang
A unique frame back strap Insert and hammer stirrup
A unique left grip (no safety relief)
No trigger play spring
No model number on frame
No patent pending on early slides (Late Pre-39 slides have
the patent pending; however, slides were fitted without
regard for serial numbers. For example, serial number
1069, which was shipped from the factory on October 4,
1955, has the patent pending marking, while 1150 that
shipped on July 7, 1955 does not.)

Two types of early flat magazines followers were used before standardizing on a third type

Supplied with an instruction booklet (Only the Pre-39s and early Model 39s to about serial number 7000 were supplied with the instruction booklet.)
Figure 1.3.1, Pre-39 Serial Number 1151, One of a Consecutive Numbered Pair Note, the Short Tang and Short Safety

The Pre-39 as introduced in 1954 had an over-all length of 7 1/2 inches, barrel length of 4 inches, and sight radius of 5 1/2 inches. The rifling has six grooves, six lands, right hand twist, one turn in ten inches.

The lands are .071 inch wide and the groove width .115 inch. The weight of the gun, with an empty magazine, is approximately 28 ounces.

The barrels were changed in 1973 to five grooves and a one in 18-3/4 inch twist at approximately serial number A200,000.

Most of the Pre-39s as well as the Model 39s have the letter P (proof) stamped on the left hand side of the trigger guard. This stamping continues up to somewhere between serial number A250,000 and A300,000, at which time it was changed to the letter T(test).

The P was then stamped on the bottom of the barrel. The mark is to show that the barrel has been test fired.

1.4 The Pre-39 Reissue
A number of Model 39s have serial numbers which should be a Pre-39 gun, but are, in fact, Model 39s.

The guns were apparently returned to the factory at some time, probably for a major repair such as for a cracked frame. The factory, rather than repairing the gun, obtained a new gun from the then current production, stamped the old serial number on the new gun, and returned it to the owner.

These reissues are relativity common, particularly among guns in the low 2000 serial number range.

Figure 1.4.1 Serial Number 1917, Pre-39 Replacement Manufactured About 1966

SHORT EXTRACT from Richard's 2004 Article ( END )

Last edited by model3sw; 07-30-2018 at 01:43 PM. Reason: revised / amended
The Following 3 Users Like Post: