View Single Post

Old 07-31-2018, 01:12 PM

Liked 3,010 Times in 1,251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGVshooter View Post
A case splitting on you in a modern revolver isn't going to hurt the gun not one bit.
If I knew how to take a picture of it I could show you a chamber in a 686 cylinder that has some serious erosion from a split/ruptured case. Apparently the gas jetting through the split can erode the metal quickly in the right circumstance. At least that was the diagnosis from Smith when they replaced the cylinder. I now have a ******* 686 no dash with a dash something or other style cylinder with the squarish extractor without the indexing pins. At least it still shoots good.

Admittedly it has had some exotic rounds shot through it. The 88 grain 380 HP bullets loaded to the max were fun. Pretty dramatic on water jugs and such. They tended to vaporize on harder targets. Now that I think on it I never recovered any bullet remains from shooting jugs. They were surprisingly accurate although I never benched them or tried any 100 yrd shots. If I ever chronographed them I don't remember the results.

Of course it mostly had 148g cast LSWC bullets loaded mild in magnum cases run through it but also a lot of fairly hot 148g gas checked cast LSWC through it as well as a bunch of Dept practice ammo as well as magnum qualifying rounds. I loaned it out to other D/S's for extended periods on two occasions when they needed a duty gun, probably a year each time.

I don't know the specific event that damaged the chamber but there is a fair bit of metal jetted away about where you'd expect a case split. It makes a fairly good paper weight.