View Single Post

Old 07-31-2018, 02:54 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,861 Times in 2,541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy2525 View Post
I think a lot of the middle class, voting, politician supporting, non-LEO public are becoming frustrated with what appears to be police departments using qualified immunity for officers as an excuse so they don’t have to absorb the expense of providing adequate training for incidences that have had similar outcomes to this. The Mesa, AZ hotel shooting and the Wichita, KS SWATing cases come to mind.

This may not be one of those, but that frustration seems to be building.
The frustration is building because of over reporting and the media fanning the flames. This isn’t happening more often. It’s being reported more and beaten to death by the media, which is why I’m hearing about a shooting in CO from my home in PA. My uncle was a cop at a time when it was legal to shoot a fleeing felon in the back! Guy snatched a purse and runs and he caught one in the back. During the NYC Blackout of 1976, the desk officer was handing out boxes of ammo to the cops to replenish the 18 rounds of duty ammo many would expand on their tours dealing with armed looters. Think they weren’t firing in the general direction of the shots being fired at them? Who here wouldn’t? Cops as a whole are far more restrained today.

In this case, cops arrive and heard shots ringing out. They go in. Guy with gun in hand. DRT. Shame, but that’s the way it is. But again, if he homeowner was disarmed with his back to them and hands up, then the cop was wrong and should be held accountable.

In the late 90’s an off duty cop who had just been assaulted and was holding the perps at gunpoint as the responding cops arrrived was shot and killed by the cops as he turned towards the cops. Awful situation, but a “good shooting”. Cop had every reason to fire. He retired soon after. Last I heard, he crawled into a bottle s d the wife and kids left him. He just couldn’t handle it, and I don’t blame him. Good chance that the cop who shot this homeowner is in for a life of torment over it.

Last edited by kbm6893; 07-31-2018 at 03:04 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: