View Single Post

Old 07-31-2018, 03:42 PM
US Veteran

Liked 6,502 Times in 2,034 Posts

Nice find. Items as yours were common at many Amvets, American Legion, and VFW posts in the 1950's and 1960's. Some were shipped to them chromed, and many were chromed locally. They were used for parades in the days when these organizations could field a parade team. They were also used for honor guards at funerals and Veteran's Day parades. I've been to a thousand of these events and remember them clearly. Nice history in my opinion.
Many were 'liberated' through the years due to not being used often and post closures. Many were replaced when M1 Garands were made available to the posts.
I enjoyed looking at yours. I do not suspect that we will ever know if it was a military drill specimen or a 'post' specimen. In past years these had little appeal, but as we know the times they are a changin', and they are picking up in value.
Check it thoroughly prior to shooting 06 ball.
Oddly, I came across two 30-40 Krags recently that were chromed with black stocks. Same type of history. Just couldn't let them pass, so brought them home quite inexpensively. A U.S. military collector decided he needed them more than I did, so they have relocated......
The Following User Likes This Post: