View Single Post

Old 07-31-2018, 08:17 PM

Liked 200 Times in 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmansguns View Post
I would be very cautious about actually chambering and closing the bolt on that 03 until a competent gunsmith at least had a look see, preferably one with a Go-No-Go set of gauges for chamber and head spacing checks.

It appears to me that the chroming was a "dip" job, completely assembled as it appears the front sight hood was not removed. You really cannot tell for sure without some detail stripping but if it was a dip job then sure it looks terrific but all precision fits points will be off by the thickness of the plating which can be up to 0.040" thick in the old days.

The woodwork is definitely not Remington war II time, but as prior posts point out you could probably get a very good sum for that stock by itself.

Photos below are of my shipped Feb 1943, barrel marked 1/43 all correct Remington 1903-A3. That one left my safe for a new home with a military collector about a year ago for $900, so yes you got a terrific deal IF yours is shoot able, but be safe and have it checked and know for sure before injuring yourself or others, and even if it is not shoot able...you still got a very nice looking piece of history.
That’s a beautiful war horse