View Single Post

Old 08-01-2018, 09:40 AM
Absent Comrade

Liked 13,197 Times in 2,860 Posts
Default The ultimate 4566

Back in the day, several years prior to retirement from Investigations, I wanted an "ultimate" variant of the 4566.

Back then the Performance Center still existed as a seperate entity in the old airplane hanger behind the mainfactory. And still had gunsmiths employed. Guys with decades of experience.

The Performance Center 45CQB came about after the LAPD Pistol Team did an order for some 4566s with Briley bushings, match grade barrels and trigger jobs. IIRC 19 of these were made.

Then the PC made a couple of runs for the public. The all stainless 4566 45CQB was made in the fewest numbers. 91 examples, again, if I recall correctly. Through the kindness of my friend Grinder, I was able to procure an example. And a very nice 45 it is.

But there were a few things I wanted changed, to make it perfect, for me.

I wanted a spurless hammer, like that on my duty gun, a standard production 4566. I also wanted Novak night sights. And I wanted thetrigger geometry changed so that it broke the shot before the trigger impacted the frame of the gun. So I called the PC and spoke to Vito. One of the premier gunsmiths at the PC.

He listened to what I wanted and agreed to do the work. But he told me not to wait to send the gun as he was retiring shortly. If I wanted him to do the work, and I did, I needed to get it to him ASAP. So, off it went.

A few weeks later I got it back. Vito was able to do everything I wanted - except change the trigger. It still breaks the shot as it touches the frame. Oh well, two out of three aint bad. And I work around the trigger. That is, on the rare occasions I shoot it. I actually prefer my other 4566s. Especially my Melonite salesmans sample gun.

I never wound up carrying it on the job, because I never qualified with it. But here is a pic with someof the stuff I had to carry everyday. Regards18DAI
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ultimate 4566.jpg (106.5 KB, 346 views)